Driving & Transportation

Delaware is small and known for our ease of access to the east coast corridor, lower commute times than surrounding areas, and we are consistently in the top 10 states for bicycle-friendliness.

In this guide you will find resources for getting a driver’s license, how to get licensed for a motorcycle, titles and registration, find public bus and train schedules, and more.

Whether you are going on your next adventure to the beach, or just heading to work, find out how to get where you need to go.

Contact Information

Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles
Delaware City
2101 Mid County Drive
New Castle, Delaware 19720
(302) 326-5000

Greater Wilmington
2230 Hessler Boulevard
New Castle, Delaware 19720
(302) 434-3200

303 Transportation Circle
P.O. Box 698
Dover, Delaware 19903
(302) 744-2500

23737 DuPont Blvd.
Georgetown, Delaware 19947
(302) 326-5000

DMV Locations and Hours

Illustration of a DMV, Department of Motor Vehicle building.

Find your local DMV.

Hours for all locations

Monday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Tuesday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Wednesday: 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM

Please Note

Road tests are not offered on Wednesdays.

Thursday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Friday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Saturday & Sunday: CLOSED


New Castle County

Delaware City Division of Motor Vehicles
2101 Mid County Drive
New Castle, Delaware 19720
Phone: 302-326-5000

Greater Wilmington Division of Motor Vehicles
2230 Hessler Boulevard
New Castle, Delaware 19720
Phone: 302-434-3200

Kent County

Dover Division of Motor Vehicles
303 Transportation Circle
P.O. Box 698
Dover, Delaware 19903
Phone: 302-744-2500

Sussex County

Georgetown Division of Motor Vehicles
23737 DuPont Blvd.
Georgetown, Delaware 19947
Phone: 302-853-1000

Motor-Vehicle Related Information and Services

Vehicle Services




Getting a License

Apply for a Driver's License (18 and Over)

Learner’s Permit Requirements

  • Pass a vision screening
  • Pass a written test
  • Pay the required fee

License Requirements

  • Take a road test at the same location that issued you the practice permit
  • You must wait at least 10 days after the permit was issued to take the road test

For more information on the written test, road test, and driving practice requirements visit the Delaware DMV.

Graduated Driver's License (Under 18)

The graduated license program is designed to reduce the accident and fatality rate among minor drivers by requiring a period of supervised and restricted driving. Minors between the ages of 16 and 18, who pass a Delaware Driver Education course, and meet all other eligibility requirements will be issued a Class D license, valid for eight years.

For all eligibility requirements and permit restrictions visit the Delaware DMV.

Access the Driver’s Manual and take the Sample Driving Exam to help you prepare for your written test.

Schedule a Road Test



Delaware’s car insurance laws require coverage to meet the following minimums:

1. Bodily Injury Protection - $25,000/$50,000

If you are responsible for the injury or death of another person and have minimum coverage, your insurance company will pay:

  • Up to $25,000 to one person involved in a single accident
  • Up to $50,000 to all people involved in a single accident, with no more than $25,000 to any one person

2. Property Damage - $10,000

If you are responsible for damages to another person’s property and have minimum coverage, your insurance company will pay:

  • Up to $10,000 due to destruction of property of others as a result of any one accident

3. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) - $15,000/$30,000

Whether you are responsible for the accident or not, your insurance company will pay for the medical expenses and loss of wages for you and your passengers. If you have minimum coverage, your company will pay:

  • Up to $15,000 to any one person involved in a single accident
  • Up to $30,000 to all people involved in a single accident, with no more than $15,000 to any one person
  • Also included in PIP coverage is up to $5,000 for funeral expenses. The minimum amounts in these three categories are relatively low and you may wish to purchase additional coverage to protect yourself from possible claims in higher amounts. Keep in mind, however, that as you raise your coverage, your premiums will increase.

Don’t Drive Uninsured: Uninsured drivers are against the law and cost other drivers money in higher insurance premiums. Registered vehicles are randomly checked for coverage and insurance companies will notify the state if coverage is dropped. Driving without insurance can cost you a fine, your license plate or your drivers license.

For more information on Auto Insurance, please see this booklet from the Delaware Insurance Commissioner.

For a list of defensive driving course providers, visit the DMV's Defensive Drving page.

Insurance Information

Getting Around

A symbol representing hazardous driving conditions

Be aware of hazardous conditions.

Real-Time Traffic Updates

Use DelDOT's Live Traffic Cameras to check traffic and roadway conditions in real-time. View weather and travel advisory news.

Illustration a SEPTA bus and a DART bus symbolizing public transportation.

Learn more about Delaware’s public transportation.

Public Transportation



Getting Around Information

Transportation for Persons with Disabilities


The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that disabled individuals be guaranteed the same level of transportation services as non-disabled persons. DART First State is pleased to provide paratransit services for disabled persons unable to use our over 60 public fixed bus routes. Learn more from DART First State.

Delaware ABLE Plan

Transportation can be a significant cost for an individual with a disability, but Delaware’s ABLE Plan allows residents the ability to invest and grow their dollars to use in a tax-advantaged way for costs associated with their disability, including transportation. The ABLE plan can operate like a checking account so that you can pay for bus fare or other travel. Visit able.delaware.gov to learn more and determine if you are eligible.


With E-ZPass, drivers can travel from Maine to North Carolina, and from the East Coast to Illinois without having to stop to pay a toll.

Learn more and sign up for E-ZPass.


Locate Delaware tolls as of January 2019.

Use the Delaware toll calculator to plan your trip.

Commuting and Community Programs

Learn about community programs and theb enefits of commuter programs which offer flexibility to employers and employees.

Biking in Delaware

Discover bike trails, biking safety and related information from the Delaware Bike Council and learn about the Adopt-A-Bike Path Program.

Illustration of a laptop, desktop and mobile phone navigating an online payment system to pay a ticket.

You can pay your Delaware ticket online!

Pay a Ticket Online

Tickets issued in Delaware can be paid online.

If you have questions regarding a ticket that you have received, please contact the Voluntary Assessment Center at (302) 739-6911.

Report a Road Condition

For emergency situations, call 911.

Report a Delaware Road Condition.

For road conditions that need to be addressed immediately contact the DelDOT Transportation Management Center by phone 302-659-4600, by cell phone by dialing #77, or by email at TMC1@delaware.gov.

The DelDOT Transportation Management Center operates 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.

You can also report emergencies using the DelDOT Report An Issue form and get updates on projects, traffic, and more through the DelDOT App

Report Unsafe Trucks

To report unsafe or over-sized trucks, please call (302) 378-5230. If possible, provide the following information:

  • Name of the trucking company
  • Description of the truck
  • Location of the violation
  • Brief description of your complaint

Driving Warning and Restrictions Due to Unsafe Conditions

When there is a severe weather event or other unsafe conditions affecting the roads, the Governor may issue a Driving Warning, Restriction, or Ban for a specific period of time. These announcements are made thru the local media, and on Delaware News. You can also subscribe to severe weather-related email announcements on Delaware News.

Level 1 Driving Warning

Drivers are discouraged from operating a motor vehicle on the state’s roadways, unless there is a significant safety, health, or business reason to do so. During a level 1 Driving Warning, all citizens are asked to drive with extreme caution.

Level 2 Driving Restriction

Travel on the roads is restricted to emergency workers, public utilities, healthcare providers including hospital staff, public and private operators of snow removal equipment, private sector food and fuel deliveries. Industries, companies or organizations that have been provided a waiver, are also permitted to be on the road, including businesses with pressing continuity and operational issues.

Level 3 Driving Ban

Complete ban on driving except for first responders, utility personnel, and public or private snow removal. Businesses and organizations should adjust work schedules so that employees do not need to be on the roads during a Level 3 Driving Ban.

Level 3 Bans are different from Level 2 Restrictions in that Level 2 allows people with waivers and essential personnel to remain on the road, whereas Level 3 Bans are much stricter, only allowing emergency personnel on the roadways.

Essential Personnel

Level 2 Driving Restriction: essential personnel include those who are necessary state personnel or those who provide healthcare services, food deliveries, and fuel deliveries during a state of emergency in both public and private industries.

Level 3 Driving Ban: includes first responders, some state employees (police officers), people the governor has approved through executive order (i.e. utility workers), and operators of snowplows or debris removal equipment that have been hired by the state or private interests.

Safety & Medical Information

Licensed Drivers

Illustration of various types of cars, a clipboard, computer and a calendar.

Schedule a driver’s test online!

Make Changes to Your License

Change of address

Delaware law requires citizens to notify the DMV within 30 days of changing addresses.

Drivers can perform the address change:

In person

  • Visit any DMV office

Via Mail

Change of name

Delaware law requires citizens to perform a change of name at the DMV within 30 days of legally changing their name.

  • You must change your name with the Social Security Administration prior to coming to the DMV.
  • Appear in person at any DMV office to change the name on your driver license and/or Identification card, and your vehicle title/registration.
  • You must provide:
    • Your current driver license and/or ID card
    • An original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree or legal name change documents
    • Proof from the Social Security administration showing evidence of the legal name change
    • $1.15 for a new license or ID card

Please Note

You must change your name with the Social Security Administration 72 hours prior to coming to the DMV to perform a change of name.

Change of gender designation
  • Fill out the Request for Gender Change on Driver License / Identification Card (MV2020) form.
  • Gender reassignment surgery is not required. Instead, Section C of the MV2020 form must be completed by a medical or social service provider who is licensed to practice in the United States.
  • Once the form is completed, bring the application to any DMV location so that the your new driver's license or ID card can be processed.
  • If any additional changes need to be made (i.e. change of name), the individual must also provide proper documentation for those changes.

MV2020 cannot be processed online or via mail.

Renew Your License

You may renew your driver’s license at anytime during the 180 day (6 month) period before its expiration date. You will receive a renewal notice 60 days prior to your license expiration date.

A fee of $10.00 will be charged to a late renewal. If you have a motorcycle endorsement, the late fee is increased by $12.00. If you have a taxi endorsement, the late fee is increased by $3.45.

When you renew your license, you must turn in your previous license, fill out a renewal application, and pass a vision screening test. You might also be required to complete a written road test.

Replace Your License

If your license is lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may apply for a duplicate license. The duplicate license fee is $20.00. To be issued a duplicate license, you must present documentation containing your name and current address.

If you are under 18 years of age or driving with a Graduated License, the sponsor who signed for your initial license must be present to authorize your duplicate license.

Become an Organ Donor

Access the organ donor registration form.

Each time you renew your license, you must also renew your decision to register as an organ donor.

Registering to become an organ donor with the DMV is considered legal consent for organ or tissue donation after death. This designation may not be revoked by anyone other than the license/ID holder.

Minors can register as organ donors when they get their license to establish their desire to donate organs or tissue. However, if death occurs while they are still a minor, the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have the final authority over the tissue and organs, and must consent to the donation.

For more information about organ and tissue donation, visit the Organ Donor Program.

Driving Safety

If you are seeking driving safety information, several agencies offer programs for defensive driving, child car seat safety, red light camera and related programs.

Licensing Information


Motorcycle Endorsement

The motorcycle endorsement fee is $12.00

Any person who wishes to operate a motorcycle, motorbike, or other 2-wheeled vehicle on the highway must have a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement.

Drivers over the age of 18 must pass a written exam and a road skills test. For drivers who complete the approved motorcycle education program, the written exam and road test are waived.

Drivers under the age of 18 must complete a Driver Education program, have a Class D motor vehicle license, and obtain written permission from a parent of legal guardian before they can enroll in the required state- approved Novice Motorcycle Training Course.

Please Note

Drivers under the age of 18 who have not finished their 12 months of supervised driving with the Graduated Driver License are not approved to obtain a motorcycle endorsement.

Download the motorcycle operator manual.

Motorcycle Learner's Permit

Motorcycle permits are valid for six months. Individuals who wish to extend the permit can apply for a one-time six-month extension for a fee of $5.00.

View the rules for people driving with a motorcycle permit.

Motorcycle Safety Class

You can register for a motorcycle training course:


New Residents

Drivers From Other States

You must:

  • Turn in your previously issued out-of-state driver's license,
  • OR have a current certified copy of your driving record
  • Documentation to provide:
    • Two proofs of identity/ legal presence
    • Proof of social security number
    • Two proofs of DE residency
    • All proofs of legal name change (if applicable)
  • If proper documentation is provided, you will be issued a federally compliant driver license. Applicants will be required to fill out an application and pass an eye screening test.
  • Written and road test may be given, but they are normally waived if your license is valid. Suspended and revoked licenses can not be transferred until the withdrawal action is cleared.

Drivers From Other Countries

Sixty days after the non-resident driver becomes a Delaware resident, he/she must apply for a Delaware driver license. Drivers from other countries may retain their foreign licenses.

Drivers from other countries who are:

  • At least 16 years old
  • Within the 60 day period after becoming a Delaware resident
  • Non-resident visitors

may operate a motor vehicle when your license from their home country is in their immediate possession.

All drivers licensed in other countries and U.S. Territories must pass both the written and road test.


Delaware has a reciprocity agreement with Germany, Taiwan (Republic of China) and France, thereby exempting these drivers from the written and road tests.

New Resident Vehicle Titling and Registration

New Delaware residents must title and register their vehicle within 60 days of establishing residency.

Before registering, you will need:

Non-Driver Identification Card

Identification (ID) Card

The fee for an identification card is $40.00, and it expires eight years from the applicant's next birthday. The applicant must be a Delaware resident and present documents as required by the Required Documentation Table. A sponsor who is the mother or father or a court appointed guardian as listed on the minor’s birth certificate must accompany any applicant under the age of 18. Checklist to Obtain a Federally Compliant Driver License or Identification Card in the State of Delaware

Identification Card Renewal

Prior to the expiration date, the Identification Card can be renewed at any Division of Motor Vehicles Office for a fee of $40.00. You are required to bring your current Identification Card with you.

Sample of Forms

Identification Card Instructions

Proof of Identity

Any person applying for a driver’s license or an identification card is required to submit proof of identity and legal presence. View the full list of acceptable sources of primary and secondary documentation.

Titles and Registration

Inspection and Registration

After passing vehicle inspection, visit any Delaware DMV office and present:

  • Proof of Delaware auto insurance
  • Your Delaware driver’s license
  • The vehicle’s title signed over to you
  • Payment for all vehicle registration fees

Renew a Vehicle Registration

Sign up to be notified about your upcoming vehicle registration expiration

You can renew your vehicle registration:

By Mail

  • To be eligible to renew registration by mail, your vehicle
    • Must be 6 years old or newer
    • Weight less than 10,000 lbs
    • Not require a vehicle inspection
  • If your registration is eligible to be renewed by mail
    • Follow the instructions in the registration package that the DMV will mail you or email you if your email is on file
    • Include a check for the appropriate renewal fee

In person

  • Visit any Delaware DMV office and present

Title Information


Please Note

A $20 late fee will be applied to renewals for expired registrations.

Out of State Vehicle Purchase

If you purchased your vehicle out-of-state and the current registration has expired, you may purchase a temporary 5 day from the Delaware DMV which will allow you to drive the vehicle into the state and have it inspected.

To purchase a temporary tag, visit any Delaware DMV office and present:

  • Proof of Delaware car insurance
  • Bill of sale or the signed-over vehicle title
  • Vehicle Identification number
  • Vehicle make, model, and year
  • Payment for the $20 fee

Vehicle Purchased From a Dealer

Dealers will often submit the proper titling and registration paperwork for you. If you are unsure if this has been done, confirm it with your dealer.

Vehicle Purchased From a Private Party

You are required to register the vehicle within 30 days of the purchase date. Before applying for a registration, the vehicle must pass a vehicle inspection.

Related Topics: , , , , ,

A graphic of a car driving in Delaware with the words Driving and Transportation in Delaware